Saturday, November 20, 2010

Virtual Reality?

After the first half of school is over, I am replacing my Writers Workshop class with another English elective, Media Literacy. I must admit that I am terrified. I have absolutely no idea where to start or what to do; the only thing I am sure of is that there is an OVERWHELMING amount of resources in order to develop a curriculum that is defined by success in this field. Where to start remains my question.

Gee states, "this technology requires action in an environment; it generates vocabulary used in actual situations, which makes meanings dearer and easier to remember." This quote provides me with a strong sense of confidence and purpose for the class that I will teach. I will have the opportunity as teacher to use the resources offered by media technology in order to make each student I teach an independent learner, and more importantly one who thrives in a somewhat intimidating world of literacy. Not only will they be able to understand how to use technology, but from this, they will develop a higher level of thinking, an extensive vocabulary, a strong ability to write and think independently, but most importantly, an understanding of today's world.

I know that I am venturing a bit off topic from Gee's purpose of writing this article, but what I understood from it is that I now have the opportunity to provide every student with learning that will be engaging through the use of technology and media. I know that I will help create learners and producers. They will have the ability to explore education on a variety of levels and I will use Gee's ideas in order to create the foundation of my class. Thanks Gee!

Gee, James Paul. "Welcome to Our Virtual Worlds," https://blackboard.pace.edu/bbcswebdav/courses/TS-654-71662.201070/Gee.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment