Saturday, November 20, 2010

Good Gaming

Gee, I never thought about Gaming as strong of an educational resource as this articles proves to be. Much like Gee states, I too have never "felt myself using learning muscles as a workout" since one of my college classes until I had actually taken my own risk in reading the educational benefits of gaming. Although I do feel that I am a "trendy" teacher, who attempts to use various learning strategies within the classroom, I do tend to shy away from computer gaming, or for that matter any gaming that is practiced with technology, for the simple reason that I am nervous to take the risk. The article opened my eyes to the fact that if I myself am too nervous to take my own educational risk, of learning the gaming world, how should I expect my students to take them in the classroom?

After reading the 16 principles, I became comfortable with the idea that gaming is something that will be a benefit to the process of education. Do not get me wrong, I do know that this technology is "engaging" for students, and I have no doubt in my mind that they will find "ownership" in taking this route, but I had no idea that it does turn them into both producers and receivers of knowledge. I believe that I was originally fearful of the notion that games only occupied students minds, rather than stretched them. I will now try to stretch my own and conquer the world of gaming in order to bring it into my classroom so students feel as if I am taking my own risk. It is a fact that teacher as doer allows students to feel confident that they can achieve in the classroom as well. I will now start as the model to give them the opportunity to become the doers.


Gee, James Paul. "Good Video Games and Good Learning," https://blackboard.pace.edu/bbcswebdav/courses/TS-654-71662.201070/Gee2.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment