Friday, October 15, 2010

Pop-Culture TAKING OVER Education?

I was researching how culture has come to influence education, yet what I came across was not what I originally imagined. As a high school teacher, I understand that the latest fads in fashion occupy the hallways, and "today's" lingo is replaced with Shakespeare's language. We all know that we need to "change with the times," in order to engage 21st century learners. Unfortunately, these changing times do not always positively affect WHAT students learn.

In school, it is essential that we teach students to become independent in order to achieve success in the real world. I find that I do this daily within my lesson plans, but what happens when they leave my classroom? I have each student for a mere 40 minutes in every day; yes, I believe my lessons click, but do they always stick? They leave my room and enter theirs: reality. The new "fad" in their reality, unfortunately, is reality TV. I fear that student's are leaving school and entering the mindless reality of this experience; they come in to school and roar over the "funniest thing that happened on Jersey Shore. How cool would it be if we could do that?"

Why I ask, is this cast of Jersey Shore taking over the teachers' role? Students are looking towards these idiots as role models, and we are being pushed to the side. I like to think that I am a teacher who reaches her students, but do these figures have more power over me? At the end of the day, students need to know what I teach them, not GymTanningLaundry. When did a search on the impacts of culture in education lead to a beach, drinking, and bad decisions?

 "Pop culture college | 7 habits of highly effective people, jersey shore edition." 2010, October 15. http://blog.earnmydegree.com/blog/2010/10/15/7-habits-highly-effective-people-jersey-shore-edition/

3 comments:

  1. Do you remember what happened in "Lord of the Flies?" While it is the children's job, as children to separate and individuate--it is our job, as role models to share our perspective and our wisdom with them. They may appear to discount or disregard us, but they are listening. Vehicles for learning may change, but cultural wisdom is part of our human fabric. So, while the spectacle may not involve lions in an arena, cheap, degraded culture has been and always will be available to youth and the rest of our culture. (Elvis's hips!!!! Gasp!)
    Persist in your standards--relate to their experience, but don't dilute yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely understand your frustrations. As an educator, what do you do when it seems like trashy reality stars motivate your students more than you can? When I was younger I loved watching reality shows, such as the Real World. But, in the end, my teachers/professors had much more of an everlasting impact on my life. They showed me how to make the world better.

    We have to have hope that this younger generation will decide what type of life is worthwhile to have. As educators we teach our students how to change the future and there are those who will and those who will add to our entertainment in the media. Perhaps we need both in our lives anyway. Everyone needs a guilty pleasure TV show or book. Something to give them a break from their reality.

    But keep in mind, students listen to their teacher's words more than you think. Even though they might say they hate school, teachers can sometimes inspire students throughout their lives. Things they said or taught may come back to students later on in their lives when they can use it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to the both of you! In the end, it is true that students are able to evaluate right from wrong. Although reality tv is providing entertainment, it is not providing everlasting guidance. Hopefully, students are taking the actions of these people with a grain of salt, while emulating us as teachers on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete